

If I hide Henry's diagnosis, I add to the confusion, misunderstanding, and myths surrounding Autism Spectrum Disorder. May God convict me if I ever do such a thing. I would love for you to follow along as I try to document the joys, sorrows, and triumphs of Henry's story. This blog will not become a home for autism awareness, but I want to record this story for me. And for him. It is part of our family. Just know his story has only begun. He has a lifetime of living to do.
We knew something was, let's say, not quite right when he was 18 months old. His speech didn't seem to be coming along as quickly as it should. Our doctor continued to say he was fine, but in June 2011, when Henry was 23 months old, we had a speech evaluation at UNC Hospital to determine if he qualified to receive speech therapy. To my great shock, his scores were too high to qualify. The therapist did see why we were concerned, and she suggested some activities to encourage his speech, recommending we have him re-tested in 8-12 months.
I tried to tell myself this was good news, but to be perfectly honest, I felt defeated. My mommy instincts (otherwise known as the Holy Spirit) told me something was wrong, yet the professional sent us on our way. What else could I do?
In March of this year we had Henry re-tested, but this time we chose to use the local Child Developmental Services Agency (CDSA). Some background here: Every child in America is guaranteed the right to a Free and Appropriate Public Education. For children younger than 3, this means the child can be tested free of charge to determine eligibility for early intervention services. The evaluation is comprehensive, meaning the child is observed in all areas of development. If the child is found eligible for therapy, those services are then paid for on a sliding fee scale. When the child turns 3, the services become free through the local public schools. In 2011 we believed an expensive evaluation at UNC was the best option. When we paid a lot of money to receive a response I did not like, we chose CDSA for our re-test.
The psychologist and caseworker assigned to Henry's initial evaluation were gifts from God. After spending more than 2 hours in our living room with Henry, watching him play, testing him, and listening to him spell his name, say the ABCs, and count to 20, the psychologist told us: "Well, I can tell you his scores aren't going to qualify him for speech therapy. He has too much language. But I see what you're seeing. Henry is a mystery. I don't know what's going on here, but I am going to recommend he receive both speech therapy and developmental play therapy, based on my clinical opinion."
Then I began to weep. Someone understood. I was validated. Thank God, someone was willing to say, I won't let your son fall through the cracks. At the same time, I was validated. In other words, something was wrong.
That first appointment was the beginning of a hailstorm. Before the psychologist left, she told us we might want to keep autism in the back of our minds and keep an eye on certain behaviors. She made very clear that she was not diagnosing him, but merely suggesting it was something his therapists would want to consider. She may as well have diagnosed him. What parent wants to hear the dreaded A-word uttered in their living room by a psychologist observing their child? No one.
As if we did not have enough emotions to deal with, the devil began attacking us in every possible way he could conceive. Those stories, however, are tangential and not necessary for Henry's story to play out. I merely want to note that our world had just been rocked in a big way. We were about to come face to face with information overload, fear, doubt, wonder, confusion, frustration . . . and more joy than I describe.

Love him and love y'all. He is a blessing and you, Meredith are a blessing to him as his mommy!
ReplyDeleteOh friend, this is such a sweet post. I never wanted my blog to be about Charlotte's heart, but at the same time, Charlotte's heart is a big part of our family's story. And God has used her story to open doors I never could have opened, and brought me friends I never would have met otherwise. I know that you sharing Henry's story, and your family's larger story, is going to bless many and bring you friends and opportunities you could never have dreamed of.
ReplyDeleteAnd I totally agree with Stephanie; you are such a blessing to Henry.
Thank you for sharing this!! I can't wait to read more of God's story for your lives. I'm praying for your journey. Henry is such a precious gift!
ReplyDeleteTell Henry "Donajohn" LOVES Him!! See you guys Friday.
ReplyDeleteyou got it! :)
ReplyDeleteOops, I forgot to reply to all. Kelly, Jenn, Steph - thank you for your love and encouraging words. It is my prayer that God will use all of this for good.
ReplyDeleteMere Bear, thinking of you and Henry and Keith. Thank you for sharing and we will be here supporting you all through everything.
ReplyDeleteThis made me cry. Not because of Henry's diagnosis, but because of your sweet emotion. I can tell you are an amazing mother to Henry and I will pray for all of you as you continue this journey. Thanks for sharing your story.
ReplyDeleteAs your family's journey unfolds, I pray that God will guide your steps in perfect order to achieve extraordinary success for Henry. He is such a precious little ambassador of Christ's love for us.
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you and Keith, you are great parents to Henry and he is blessed to have you. We are all BLESSED to have Henry in our lives. I loved hearing his sweet voice this morning, it's music to my ears. Give Henry a big hug and kiss from his Grammy. Love you much, Mom
ReplyDeleteMeredith, I'm so glad that God brought you into my life. You are a treasure. And a precious Mommy. I'm praying for you and your darling Henry. I love you.
ReplyDeleteAll of you, thank you. I love each of you and feel blessed to have you, such supportive people, in my life.
ReplyDeleteAs you all step into this journey, I know that you have been blessed with a knowing Father who will be by your side.
ReplyDeleteThank you, AP. You are right - He knows all!
ReplyDeleteThe Dales took the words right out of my mouth. He is a blessing, and he is blessed to have you as his mom. Hugs, prayers and love! Kristi
ReplyDeleteLove ya, Kristi. (The Dales are my sister and bro-in-law, by the way!)
ReplyDelete