5:35pm: I snap Henry into his carseat and climb in the passenger side, stomach turning.
5:45pm: We walk down the sidewalk, past the playground, and my stomach threatens to turn itself inside out and then leak out through my belly button.
5:48pm: I step into the building and cringe as I inhale the ubiquitous elementary school smell. I hope Henry will love school more than I did.
5:50pm: We find Henry's classroom. He walks in like he owns it, beelines straight for the trains (how did he even see them?), and has a grand time playing.
5:51pm: I think maybe we'll be ok after all.
6:25pm: The three of us wave good-bye and I hear the teacher assistant say to the lead teacher, "He is going to be a joy."
When Henry turned 3 and aged out of services with CDSA, he was re-evaluated for services by the public school system. He was also tested for autism. When the tests confirmed his autism and need for services, we developed an Individualized Education Program (IEP). Though the professional team makes recommendations, the parents are part of the IEP team as well, and we had the final say-so in Henry's care.
Henry will go to public school two days each week for education and speech therapy. I am scared out of my mind to leave him at a brand new place for 6.5 hours, but I have already started praying for God to prepare Henry's tender heart for the change and the potential anxiety. If this is what's best for him, I don't want to hold him back. Additionally, the IEP team decided it would be in Henry's best interest to go to our church preschool two half-days each week, as we had already planned. This way he will have regular contact with his usual peers. The professionals feel strongly that children like Henry should have as much interaction with neurotypical children as possible.

Crying again! Great post, thank you. Wish you were writing in 1980,
ReplyDeletePraying for all of you. I know this must feel like such an upheaval, but you are handling it all with such grace and trust.
ReplyDeleteI do hope that Henry does well with the long school days. I am so happy that he will still be able to go to his preschool at church, too. I think five full days would have been too hard on all of you (I know it would me!). Love you!
I will pray that he will love both his schools and have a wonderful learning experience. Also, that his mom's nerves will be calmed, when seeing how much Henry is thriving at school. Henry is a JOY, and anyone that has the pleasure of being around him is very lucky!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you've gotten through the week. I think writing about it has helped you tremendously, and Henry doesn't know what the fuss is about. He's just having fun being a kid!!
ReplyDeletePat, that is so true, Henry is just having fun.
ReplyDelete