Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Art I'm Making Now

When Emily Freeman announced she was writing a new book, I didn't even have to think about it; I just pre-ordered it right then and there.


Her book is helping me think of my life as a work of art - God's poem - instead of a checklist of accomplishments (or, worse, non-accomplishments).

It doesn't matter if I understand all of God's ways and what He wills for my life at this given moment. What matters is that I'm living intentionally, giving Him glory in both the little things and big things. The art I make is sometimes writing, sometimes not. I plan, shop for, and cook healthy meals. I wash, hem, and fold tiny ninja uniforms. I make time for my spouse. I drive countless miles in my car. I counsel students.

But, most of all, I make this -

This is the art I am making now. A life.

Day by day, I am making a life for my son, this little wonder with the captivating face and special brain. The one who remembers every detail and forgets nothing. The one who inhales words and lives by a schedule. The one who sees everything a bit differently. Senses everything a bit more strongly. Observes more closely. 

And loves so deeply.

In ways I never dreamed, I am learning to be a mother. I am learning to speak his language and help him learn ours. Step by step, the gap narrows.

And every moment I spend with him is art.

No comments:

Post a Comment