Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

A green bean

The last few weeks of food therapy (which is less than 30 minutes of his total OT time) have been traumatic. Today promised to be more of the same when Henry immediately asked to go to the gym instead, but something magical happened.

He sat down in his chair, passed out the napkins and plates, and then proceeded to smell, lick, or eat every single item placed on his plate. The progression always starts with something he likes, like a piece of cereal or a Goldfish cracker. When she handed out banana chips I expected to hear "NOOO!" or "No, thank you."

Instead, Henry picked up the banana chip and ate it. Whaaaaat? I tried to act totally cool.

The therapist forged ahead with the progression. He didn't eat the piece of dried mango or breakfast sausage, but he licked a grean bean.

A green bean.


He picked it up (first shock) -
licked it -
said "Blech!" -
and placed it on the no-thank-you plate.

End of story. No hollering. No crying. I think Brooke and I were in shock for the rest of the hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment