Last night Abel, his mom, and his baby brother joined us for dinner. The boys' excitement level was off the charts, as though they hadn't seen each other in weeks and weeks. I love their laughter and I want kids to be kids, so I tried to let them be except for telling Henry to tone it down when the squealing was too loud. Unfortunately, I had a nervous riptide riding just beneath the surface... I know what can happen when children who are dangerously close to bedtime become too excited.
The evening ended when Abel burst into tears (second time) and I sent Henry to his room for screaming (multiple times) and saying, "Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah!" when he snatched something Abel wanted. Flabbergasted, I wondered, How does this happen? How did he learn to be mean? Why is he hurting the friend he loves? Why does he act worst around Abel? Will they ever talk to us again?
Henry is one of the most affectionate little boys I've ever known. He is a son who kisses me spontaneously and frequently asks for hugs. He loves cuddling and being held. Yesterday he turned his head to me as we stood in a line and kissed my hand. Sometimes he runs to me during Mighty Dragons for one more hug.
He's also genuinely interested in the people who love him. He routinely asks what his long-distance family members are doing and when he will see them again. He asks me about his school friends, where they live, and when they can come to his house. He truly loves people and he charms nearly every adult he meets. He's polite, kind, and mostly obedient.
So why is he someone different around Abel's family? How can such a great little boy act so crazy?
As soon as the thought appeared another formed: Is he really so different from me?
After all, don't I let down my guard around those I love most? Don't I trust their love to the point I will expose my raw edges? When I'm angry, who sees? When I'm depressed, who sees? The people I love - that's who.
And no one learns to be mean. We're born sinners. If he's learned to say "Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah" from someone else, it's only because that little phrase (phrase?) looked so enticing. Again, he's a sinner. His most human instinct is selfishness. Not so different from me.
We're going to have some rough spots in this thing called childrearing, and last night won't be the last time I'm embarrassed, but I'm grateful for God's reminder that there's nothing "wrong" with Henry when a mean streak appears. He's not schizophrenic. He's not Harvey Dent/Two-Face. He's human, and like all humans he needs a Savior.
No comments:
Post a Comment