Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Tools for success

When Henry covered his ears through the first half of Disney on Ice, we realized we would need headphones before our next arena-style experience. Of course, being the slack mother that I am, I haven't bought any yet. (In my defense, we haven't made plans for any upcoming shows.)

Last week Grammy sent Henry some cute headphones she had seen on sale. I expected to tuck them away, but Henry began using them immediately.

When he's irritated about trying a new food at supper time, our seemingly innocuous conversation can provide too much auditory stimulation. On go the headphones. When he's overtired and our conversation in the car is too much, on go the headphones. Now we don't need to deal with the screams of, "STOP TALKING, GUYS!"

On Sunday Henry was hysterical about going to church (we don't know why), so I brought his headphones along just in case. Guess who was wearing them when we picked him up? He was fine during the worship hour, according to his teachers, but during the noisier Sunday School hour, he requested the headphones.

I kinda want to beat myself up for not thinking of this earlier, but I am simply choosing to be thankful for a tool that works so well for our family. Thanks for sending them, Grammy.

5 comments:

  1. You are so welcome! I try to stay abreast with Henry's development and needs. Love that little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea and perfect tool! Wow! You should recommend that to others since no one ever mentioned it to you! Love him! And I think I may start using ours when the boys are driving me nuts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We know you do and appreciate it, Mom.
    Steph, yes! I told his OT about it and she said maybe we could even try therapeutic listening with him. I'm eager to learn about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing the things we learn as we go along this rode with Henry. I am surprised that someone hadn't suggested this sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a child in my class that used headphones during fire drills and assemblies when large groups gathered or we had a speaker. They were a wonderful tool and so simple to manage! It's nice when something so easy helps!
    LOVE the pics you post of your cutie patootie!
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete