Pages

Saturday, November 23, 2013

No more naptime: 4 years, 2 months

In September, at age 4 years and 2 months, Henry gave up his afternoon naptime.

This summer his nap gradually dwindled from 3 hours to 2 hours. We then noticed the bedtime routine was taking a bit longer and falling asleep was taking more effort for him. I suspected the nap would soon end. Sure enough, much like when he announced he was done with his toddler bed, one day he announced he didn't need a nap. I decided to try it that day just to see how it would go. Not only did he have a great afternoon, but bedtime was quick and easy for him, falling asleep quickly. I decided to continue following his lead, and it's been terrific. If he falls asleep in the car, great. If not, he gets no nap. We've had zero problems!

2 comments:

  1. H seems to pass effortlessly through some of these childhood transitions that are so complicated for others...writing this as my son insists he needs to hold my whole arm during recent naps. However, I'm taking your advice and just soaking up the snuggle/sleeping time in the rocking chair. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I count it a blessing, believe me! For all our challenges, we have some true "breezes" as well. And I know what you mean. Sometimes that arm really wants to do other stuff, but your heart knows he won't always want to sleep with your arm, so you soak it up. I think that is the perpetual refrain of motherhood!

      Delete