I was a bit surprised but also very pleased when Henry, the anti-crafter, would get in the car each day and tell me about an artist. He told me Vincent Van Gogh's favorite color was orange, Georgia O'Keefe loved flowers, and Michelangelo was not a turtle. (That was my favorite.) I think combining the academic aspect to the art was the key.
On art show day I was completely overwhelmed with joy. I told myself beforehand to focus on his work, not compare it to anyone else's. And you know? It wasn't that hard because I was just so overcome with gratitude and amazement. Below is just a selection of his work. I was particularly impressed by his still life, not because of its excellence in execution (you wouldn't be able to tell what it is), but because of his attention to detail. There was a LOT to see and attempt to capture in his drawing, and he made a great effort.
Showing us the art puzzles.
I wish I could remember his title for this one. It was something about a desert and it was in the style of Georgia O'Keefe. Maybe "Desert Sunset," but he can't remember either.
Showing us the inventions like Leonardo Da Vinci's.
Watercolors: "A Swirly Ocean"
His name for this made my heart feel so big. I'm not even sure why it affected me so much.
His name for this made my heart feel so big. I'm not even sure why it affected me so much.
a la Jackson Pollock
Henry's take on "Starry Night."
like Andy Warhol
"Maniac Train" sculpture from recycled materials
Art based on shapes. See the train?
Yarn sculptures
Faux pointillism in the style of Georges Seurat. They colored on sandpaper and then made these impressions.
Self-portrait in the style of Picasso
My absolute favorite exhibit: The classroom's Sistine Chapel.
The children drew their artwork while lying underneath their art tables.
The children drew their artwork while lying underneath their art tables.
Finally, I loved this picture taken while the children were drawing landscapes.
With a full heart, we walked to our car after the show.








Love that kid and all he has accomplished!
ReplyDeleteLove that kid and all he has accomplished!
ReplyDelete