Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Beach Day!

Last year Henry had a fantastic time on Beach Day at school. This year he was anxious about it, and we couldn't seem to help him overcome that. On the morning of the big day he was insistent he couldn't go to school, and we felt it was better to say ok than push him and experience a meltdown at school. However, about 11:00am he missed his friends and wanted to try it out.

When we arrived at school, his friends were cleaning up after water play in the courtyard and headed to lunch, which upset Henry. I could see the wheels turning as he realized his decision had resulted in missing a fun time. He ran off, screamed, and hunkered against a wall as he sorted it out (all normal parts of his processing). His friends called out, "Hey Henry! You're just in time! Pizza and popsicles!" I asked if he needed a hug, he said yes, and then we made our way out to the lunch spot - in his own time. It's so important that I give him the time and space he needs, which this dummy is learning slowly.

Settled onto his beach towel next to his best buddy Jack Jones, he enjoyed eating a pepperoni pizza and licking a red popsicle. Then it was off to the playground until pick-up time.




I am ridiculously proud of his recovery, of the lesson learned, and his ability to come to school and try out something that was making him anxious.

No comments:

Post a Comment