Funny how life comes full circle. Now that I'm keenly aware of sensory processing, my creature comforts make sense. Though not all children with autism have sensory integration problems (and not all with sensory problems are autistic), Henry is one who does. Like his mama, he needs weight on him to fall asleep. Most recently, he stretches out one arm and cradles my head in that hand. Previously he has requested my hand on his back. Once he even asked for his firetruck on his back. Today he fell asleep like this, with his right arm cradling me.
Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Falling asleep
Six years ago, long before I knew anything about sensory integration and proprioception, I wrote about the comfort of feeling weight on my body. I sleep with at least a light blanket every night, no matter how hot I am; I never sleep better than when Henry is on top of me; and I even like Dobby on my legs while I'm reading.
Funny how life comes full circle. Now that I'm keenly aware of sensory processing, my creature comforts make sense. Though not all children with autism have sensory integration problems (and not all with sensory problems are autistic), Henry is one who does. Like his mama, he needs weight on him to fall asleep. Most recently, he stretches out one arm and cradles my head in that hand. Previously he has requested my hand on his back. Once he even asked for his firetruck on his back. Today he fell asleep like this, with his right arm cradling me.
Funny how life comes full circle. Now that I'm keenly aware of sensory processing, my creature comforts make sense. Though not all children with autism have sensory integration problems (and not all with sensory problems are autistic), Henry is one who does. Like his mama, he needs weight on him to fall asleep. Most recently, he stretches out one arm and cradles my head in that hand. Previously he has requested my hand on his back. Once he even asked for his firetruck on his back. Today he fell asleep like this, with his right arm cradling me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment