Today Henry had his first full day at University United Methodist Preschool! On Tuesday we had a 1-hour orientation, his Sunday School class is in the same room as his preschool class, and his friend Jordan is in the class, so I felt we had a lot working in our favor. What I didn't know was that Jordan's mom, my friend Allie, was Parent of the Day today. Henry was truly set up for a successful first day.
And it was great. He ran right into the room and I quickly scooted off. About halfway down the hall I heard him ask for me, I but I didn't hear any loud wailing. I took that as a good sign. At pick-up time his teacher said Henry was a bit sad at first, but she cuddled him until he felt better. He was great for the rest of the day. Allie confirmed this and also said she sent Jordan over to check on Henry later on in the day. She said it was cute because Henry was obviously trying to express his feelings to Jordan. Henry looked at him, held his arms out, and said, "Mommy?" Little Jordan patted him on the back.
What did Mommy do while Henry was at school? I met with my co-class parent in Starbucks across the street and then prepared my Sunday School lesson. Then I did a little browsing in some shops. All in all, a fantastic morning.
My favorite part of the day was pulling into the circle and seeing Henry sitting on the ground with the other children, bookbag on his back, looking like such a big boy. (Previously, he has refused to wear his bookbag. I think teachers and positive peer pressure can be magical.) When Ms. Stephanie held out her hand and asked him if he saw my car, he looked up and shouted, "THERE'S MOMMY'S CAR!"
For the rest of the afternoon Henry was all smiles and told me he had fun at "Jordan's school." I've been calling it church school to help him distinguish it from Southwest, the public school (which he calls Henry's school), but whatever works for him is fine by me!
Now I just pray his first week of going to school for 4 days will be a good one. And I pray he won't boycott Southwest since Jordan isn't there.
I love that they are together!! His little buddy!!
ReplyDelete