Another autistic child was killed by his parent today. His mother.
I have a hard time knowing how to feel about these situations, occurring with an alarming frequency. The outspoken bloggers of autistic children, the ones I admire, seem so sure of their stances, so articulate in their speeches. I am not.
I feel a deep anguish for this nonverbal 6-year-old boy, not much older than Henry, when I think of what he must have felt in those last moments. I see Henry going over that bridge instead, and I witness shock, fear, and betrayal on his face as he screams. I wonder how a mother could look in her child's face and let go. My heart wrenches, stomach heaves, skin chills, and I quickly jerk my mind onto another picture.
I want to call her a monster, I want to hate her, but I don't. It's not okay, what she did, but in my heart I know there's more to this story than selfishness.
I know this because I have walked that edge of giving up. I have stood with the bottles in hand, ready to end it, and tossed them angrily aside. I have looked longingly at bridges; contemplated how to buy a gun without anyone's knowledge; researched lethal dosages; drafted the letters in my head. I have done so most of my life and never followed through for these reasons:
1. I have hope in Christ.
2. I have a husband, parents, and sister who love me and would be more damaged by that choice than I can probably conceive.
3. I have a son who loves me and needs me. No matter how often I may think of myself as a failure, he needs me. I cannot and will not leave him to grow up and learn that his mother was so distraught, she couldn't see Christ's hope.
I don't pretend to understand why this woman chose to end her son's life. I can't explain why she chose to end his life, while others parents have chosen to end their own lives - or to end both. What I do know, having lived in the hole of depression and despair, is that love and hope were not present - in her mind. A murderer? Yes. But she is also sick. An ill woman did the unthinkable, and she will understandably, justifiably be punished.
Is she evil? I have no idea, but based on her prior blog posts and testimony from relatives, it would seem she is not.
What happened? Why did she snap? I don't know.
Does it matter? I don't know that either.
What I know is that some people see no way out, and we must keep reminding the depressed among us of the truth. The Truth that Christ is always the answer; the Truth that there is a way out; the Truth that every life has meaning and is worth saving.
We must let them know they are never alone.
You and Stephanie are wonderful moms, and I am so very proud of you both. Life is hard, and sometimes we think of ourselves as failures but we are not and God is there to pick us up and love us as his children. I love you always! Mom
ReplyDelete