Pages

Sunday, June 8, 2014

All aboard! Henry's special day.

A few weeks ago we had the following conversation.

M: Henry, you, Mommy and Daddy are going to the beach this summer - just the three of us!
H: No. I don't like the beach.
M: Oh. Ok. You don't want to splash in the ocean and play in the sand? (I know full well this has never been his thing, but I'm hoping he'll outgrow it, as I did.)
H: No.
M: Well, what would you like to do with just Mommy and Daddy for a special trip?
H: Ride a BIG. CITY. TRAIN!

And so we did. On June 7 we woke up at 5:00am and left the house at 6:15 for the Durham train to Charlotte.





 Someone was a little bit excited!






Snap blocks, miniature trains, minions…. what else do you need?

 First stop - ImaginON, Charlotte's combined children's library and theatre. The current traveling exhibit is on multicultural fairytales. Thanks to Doc Martin at Clemson, I knew them all! Henry knew Jack and the Beanstalk. Here, he's counting the giant's gold.

See the cyclone of toys hanging from the ceiling? Guess what Henry spotted.

Percy.

Angry Birds follow us everywhere! Thankfully, I was able to coax him from the teen center and into the children's area, where ipad stations had wonderful games on spelling and math that we will definitely be downloading.

 Riding the Lynx to lunch

Cheesy smiles after pizza at Fuel. We weren't sure why this place was so highly rated, 
but hey - pizza. Henry eats pizza!

Discovery Place fun




So very sleepy.

All aboard! Next stop - Durham.

One of my favorite moments of the day:
"Mom, is Dobby thinking about me?"

When Keith asked his favorite part of the day, Henry replied, "Finding Percy."
Sheesh. All of that just to spot a train hanging from the ceiling. ;) We had such a wonderful (albeit exhausting) family day together. I'm thrilled we asked Henry what he wanted to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment