Pages

Friday, May 20, 2016

Portland! May 2016

When I was in kindergarten at St. James Methodist preschool, I met a little girl on the playground who was in the kindergarten class next to mine. Her name was Carrie. We entered the same elementary school for 1st and 2nd grades. (I moved in 3rd grade.)

In 6th grade we were in the same class and a fast friendship began. We shared secrets and preteen anxieties, high school band competitions, and irrationally hilarious moments when we were supposed to be standing at attention. Goodness, I love that girl.

Two years ago, Carrie moved to Portland, a place that captured her heart the moment she set feet on the soil. She said it just felt like home.

And that's why I made my first trip to Oregon.

On Friday it was unusually warm for that time of year, almost 90 degrees, and the sky was crystal clear. We walked to a place in her neighborhood for burgers, chilled in her apartment, and ordered in Mediterranean food for a late dinner. Such a great way to unwind after traveling.


On Saturday morning Carrie had an epic day planned. This is the epic view from her apartment on Burnside Street. First stop, Blue Star doughnuts.


The raspberry rosemary doughnut. Don't get me started. Don't even get me started.


This was breakfast and mid-morning snack after our wine flight at Winderlea Vineyards and Winery. (I mean, who says you can't drink wine at 10am?)


After a beautiful drive through the country and a stop at an olive oil and lavender shop, we came to Willamette Valley Vineyards. This was a much bigger place but with no less charm than Winderlea. I thoroughly enjoyed both experiences and could have spent two days just touring wine country.

Willamette Valley also has an incredible kitchen, so we were able to eat a late lunch while we were there. This was the view from our table:



Saturday night we vegged and ate our leftover Mediterranean food. OH, and I can't forget about Sally. Carrie has the world's best dog, who I may or may not have threatened to smuggle in my suitcase, and we walked her each day in the late afternoon or evening. I loved walking with her around Carrie's totally charming neighborhood.

Sunday morning we had brunch and then made our way to Powell's. HELLO, MECCA! This has been on my bucket list for a very long time. Somebody stop me from touching all the books.



The next stop was the Japanese gardens and international rose garden. People, it's just too much beauty to behold. Portland is so green and lush, I can hardly handle it.





Sunday night, before my red-eye flight, we had dinner at Nostrana. The chef has been a finalist for the James Beard Award 6 times. Let's just say Carrie has my number.

She had this pizza that made me want to slap the table, and I had gnocchi the size of my face. Then we had a strawberry rhubarb crumble for dessert. I was hungry on the plane. Not.



Leaving Carrie and this beautiful city was harder than I expected. I tend to cry when I'm angry or depressed and not when I'm sad, so I didn't shed actual tears, but I felt like I could have. If that makes sense. I can only pray it won't be so long before we see each other again!
SaveSaveSaveSave

2 comments:

  1. We also love Portland and completely see why it captured Carrie's heart. What a vibrant, eclectic city, and I'm so glad you got to experience Powell's. We didn't have Blue Star, but we definitely indulged in some Voo Doo (donuts!) And you've inspired me to venture to the vineyards next time we go! What a neat friendship and how cool that you went all the way there to spend time together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about you guys OFTEN while I was there!! If I had been there longer, I would have made it to Voo Doo as well. Blue Star was kinda on our way (and it's Carrie's favorite). You and I should go back together.

      Delete