Pages

Friday, August 21, 2015

Meet-the-teacher

In order to give Henry the best possible start to kindergarten, we opted to meet his teacher and see his classroom privately. Meet-the-teacher night is loud and chaotic, and we knew he needed a more calm entry into this new world. 

We first met Abel and Eli for a quick romp on the playground and then ventured inside to meet Ms. Langdon. 

The back story: Henry's kindergarten assessment was Monday, the 17th. I anticipated an easy time with that, especially since Henry had visited the school numerous times before. However, the experience made him extremely anxious and he had quite a meltdown. The kind teacher who was placed with us for assessment waited for him to calm down before trying the questions and then openly praised him for how well he did on the assessment. (He knew every single thing. Not even joking.) She asked him what he loved to read, which then got his mind on Magic Tree House books, and he was truly fine when we left. I admired her approach to Henry so much that I told Keith I wished she could be his teacher, but I knew she taught first grade. Welllll, not anymore! Turns out, she had asked to be moved back to kindergarten, and we found out on Wednesday that she was Henry's teacher. I could not have been more thrilled when I found out!

Henry was very shy when we came into her classroom, but Ms. Langdon, Mrs. Peele (her assistant), and Mrs. Dallesandro (the EC teacher who is working with Henry) made him feel comfortable. He eventually opened up and they saw the silly Henry I know!





No comments:

Post a Comment