Henry's current social skills group has not been his favorite. Between the higher-order abstract thinking, the increased amount of seat work, and the specific combination of kids, it has been a recipe for anxiety soup.
Last Wednesday during his private OT, just out of the blue, Henry told Brooke that if he gets upset during Junior Explorers, it would help him to have a train.
What?
Thinking ahead, unprompted, about coping strategies?
Can I just say that this would be surprising in a neurotypical child? For a 6-year-old autistic child... shocking.
Or is it? After all, these are the kids we teach to cope. These are the kids who memorize every word we say.
It's precisely these moments that characterize autism as mysterious, but to me it's a beautiful mystery. I don't think, "Crap, I wish I could figure out my kid." Instead, I think, "Daggum, his brain is so amazing."
So, at Junior Explorers yesterday, he took a train with him. And do you know what? It was his best day yet. Extraordinary, even.
Dang, his brain is amazing.
HE is amazing. Everything about this post made me smile.
ReplyDelete