Pages

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Every child needs books


One of my lifelong passions, as nearly everyone knows, is reading and encouraging the love of reading in others. Several years ago I heard about a local organization just beginning, which would put books in the hands of low-income children. Many of those children have no books of their own, not to mention that they don't see their parents reading at home. I remember being excited about the little start-up nonprofit. Just a few years later, I learned that one of my church friends, Tricia, was actually on the Board of Directors of Book Harvest and hosted a hugely successful fundraiser in her driveway. I couldn't attend that year and couldn't attend this year either. I said to Keith, "What do you think about doing that at our house?"

Fast forward a few months… Keith, Henry, and I hosted an ice cream party yesterday to raise awareness and funds and collect children's books for Book Harvest. We were disappointed in the turn-out, but Tricia and Ginger (the founder) were excited by the publicity we gave (each family in our neighborhood was invited, as well as friends outside of the neighborhood), the small amount of money we raised, and the enormous pile of books we gathered - soon to be "harvested" by very happy children in need! Ginger's smiles and some of the testimonials of children who have received books this summer just made my day. One little girl remarked that she felt like a celebrity signing autographs, as she wrote her name in each book. Can you imagine? Henry's hands have touched hundreds of books; how blessed we are and don't even recognize it on most days.

1 comment: