January is a very special month in the 4s class. Prior to Christmas break, families receive the January calendar letting them know when their student is Child of the Day. Preparation for this special day includes creating a poster all about the child, choosing a theme for the day, selecting the snack, and deciding on any activities the family would like to bring to class.
I may have done Henry an injustice, I admit it, but I signed him up for a train theme without even asking. I mean - what else was he gonna say?
On his day Henry was thrilled to walk in and find two train tracks set up in the classroom, one wooden track and one plastic track with remote controls. Several types of train puzzles and games were set up around the room, and I set up our craft at the art table. At circle time I held the poster and Henry told his friends about his favorite color (red) and his pets and shared his large stack of train books. My favorite part was when I asked him if he wanted to share some of the things he loves, and he said, "I love Jack Jones."
Snack was cheese sticks and grapes. I knew the time to set out snack was limited and I wouldn't have time to actually make trains with toothpicks holding the parts together, so I was thrilled the kids got it. Several exclaimed, "It's like a train car! These are like wheels!"
Anyone would expect a child to be excited over their very own day at school, but what has pleasantly surprised me has been the children's eagerness to learn about their friends. Each afternoon Henry tells me whose day it was and whose day is next. And the excitement in the hall each morning is so sweet, with the kids waiting to see what the day will bring. I can't think of a better way to ease the transition into school after Christmas break!



That is one special "child of the day", love him! I am sure that was a great train day for him!
ReplyDelete