Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

She Speaks 2012

Confession time. Last weekend I took more pictures of Jaime's decorations in her house than the actual lovely people I was with. But I do have these and they will be enough.

One of the many blessings from She Speaks was spending the weekend with Jenn and her mom Susan.   I know beyond a shadow of a doubt this was not a coincidence. Thank you, God, for being a God of details! Walking out of a workshop, searching out their faces in the halls, and sitting down to share everything was just so special. We also sat together at all the meals and worshipped together during the keynote sessions. Don't you just love friends?
Now, look, I know the pic below is super fuzzy. It was taken with my iPhone in a dim room. And I know my knees look like soccer balls. Whatever. I'm sharing it to show how much has changed since She Speaks began 12 years ago and even since I went four years ago. Zondervan, arguably the biggest name in Christian publishing, sponsored a swanky lounge with free Starbucks coffee all weekend long. Between sessions women could be found warming their frozen hands around cups of coffee and chatting with each other and even the famous-but-don't-know-they're-famous people like Lysa TerKeurst. I may or may not have taken a picture of Emily Freeman just to prove that I saw her. And The Nester too. It was like Christian star-stalking.
And another huge blessing was living with the Browns for a few days. On Friday and Saturday I left their house early and got home after 10 each night, but I spent almost all of Thursday with them. See this pretty little thing with the ketchup smile? That's our little Atalie Layton Brown. I can say "our" even though she's not mine because, listen, I helped pray for that miracle. Jaime, don't kill me for taking a little creative license here. Averie and Austin Kate, I am SO sorry I didn't get pictures of you!
I had a wonderful time catching a glimpse of their "slow" days (slow - ha!) as a family in full-time ministry. Happy tears came to my eyes Thursday evening as I reflected on how very proud I am of Nate and Jaime and how blessed I am to be their friend.  I love them, I love their girls, I love their vision, and I love their hearts for Christ.

On Sunday all of us met up for lunch before heading our separate ways. Left to right - Susan High, me, Jenn Tousey, Sarah Masterson (Jenn's sister who lives in Kannapolis), and Jaime Brown. I believe Averie was taking the picture. Thanks, Ave! Nate, thanks for having lunch with 9 women (and women in training). 

Oh, Lord, for my friends and their families... for their love... for their hospitality... for their prayers... for their laughs... I am eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment