Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2013

The World's Tiniest Ninja

Last spring as Keith and Henry were leaving Fitness World one evening, Henry noticed some small children taking Tae Kwon Do in the building next door. Keith told me Henry stood at the large window and stared in awe. He definitely wanted to go inside!

Keith and I feel strongly that all children should have physical activity in their lives. We believe if they start young, it will become like brushing teeth -  a habitual, normal part of living, instead of a dreaded activity to try and lose weight as an adult. Since Henry isn't at all interested in sports, and since he enjoyed watching Tae Kwon Do, we thought perhaps martial arts would be the way to go.  We started doing research and found most classes begin at age 4.

Not long after that, I heard from a fellow ASD mom that Quest, which specializes in Ninjutsu, the style of the Japanese ninjas, was a terrific place for kids with autism. Their web site looked fantastic and made an emphasis on their kids' programs, which pleased me. I decided we'd try it as soon as Henry was 4.

This week we began our trial, and true to our suspicions, Henry loves it. I'm thrilled he's learning focus and discipline, as well as better physical coordination. He just thinks he's having fun.

On Wednesday Henry wanted to join but was not enthusiastic about wearing his gi. The instructors were kind and supportive and said he could participate in his clothes. Henry had a ball protecting himself with the "shield" as he ran between the instructors with their, um, whatchamacallits. I'm sure I'll learn the lingo eventually.
Thursday morning he was ready to try on the gi. As soon as I snapped this pic, I broke out the stitch-witchery and temporarily hemmed his sleeves. (I thought I could just roll over the waist of his pants, but I believe I'll be hemming the pants next.)
On the way to class today, he asked for my chapstick. Oh my. I have my own little Napoleon Dynamite. Be still, my heart.
You know what's hilarious? Watching a 4-year-old try to do push-ups.

The teeny girl beside him is also 4. They are super adorable.
He begrudgingly gave me a quick "Cheese!" for Daddy before ripping off his jacket. After his class the next age group comes in, and Henry wanted to stay with them. I said, "Buddy, that's for the big kids. Your class is over today." He sadly replied, "I need to grow."
Class is during naptime. After two days in a row, he was a very sleepy ninja.

No comments:

Post a Comment